Thursday 13 May 2010

Final Year at UEL May 14th 2010


This is the beginning of the 3rd year, it is very important for me to get good results in my personal project and the assessment as it is my last chance to use the facilities freely,

I have been struggling to come up with project ideas, I was at first indecisive about what I wanted to do, I wasn't sure if I should do it about something political or something about my feeling. But with both ideas I had a problem with either showing my feelings openly to the unknown public or getting very badly critiqued about the political subject I had chosen.

So in the end I decided to do a project about text wrapping letters to my loved ones. For this I used an image from the chosen pictures which I wanted to use for this project, photographs which had a meaning in some way. Then I will open it up in Photoshop software to select areas in the image which I want to connect a path to do the text wrap.

So far I have done one about me and my boyfriend, I have chosen a font which wasn't very clear because I wasn't sure about how much I wanted to expose and also it looked better in the font chosen.








When I showed my work to the teacher, she recommended that I should split the image into four and print it that way to give it a pattern effect. It has taken me a while to get the plate ready and finally it is ready to print, I have chosen to do a photo etching as in this case it will be easier to do it this way.





Although I didn't do it on purpose there were little spots on the plate which I quite like, these are the sort of mistakes I like about art sometimes, it can be a good thing to do it wrong as it comes out with different and sometimes better results.

My first few prints wasn't all great as I haven't rubbed the ink off properly with a paper over the text. But the last lot has come out great and you can see all the little spots which happened accidently, which is fantastic.

Now that I have done these print in the way the teacher has recommended and although it looks very nice, I still would like to print it in the way I originally planed which is as it was (the whole figure).

I will be doing the prints as I originally planned after New Year.

23-1-10
Today I have started doing my face scans with dried plants, This was something I was previously experimented with and really enjoyed so I decided to do my project partly about that. This face scans once printed on acetate will be scratched of with things I want to do to it and I will also include text scratches done by sharp objects.

26-1-10
I have printed the face scans in print room in dotted version for photo etching and then photocopied it onto acetate.

27-1-10
I have been doing face scratches on the acetates I have printed which had my face scans. So far I have done four but I am not entirely happy with two of them.

26-1-10
I have printed the face scans in print room in dotted version for photo etching and then photocopied it onto acetate.

27-1-10
I have been doing face scratches on the acetates I have printed which had my face scans. So far I have done four but I am not entirely happy with two of them.

As well as doing this I have started my second text wrap image and this an image which contains my niece, my younger sister and my little brother. Just like the previous image this image is a letter about my feeling towards that person and also a letter sort of not given to them and they will only be able to find out by looking at the pictures properly.

I have been trying to find exhibitions on Susan Calle but at the moment unfortunately there isn't any available, which is a shame as she does similar type of work. But I will be looking into her work and her life on the internet as I am very interested in her work.

Also the one thing I haven't been doing much due to the snow ( I know the snow should not be an excuse, but in this case it is, because it has been terrible weather out there) I haven't been going to many galleries and that needs to stop in February as I need to catch up with this failure.

28-01-10
Today I had my assessment I was not sure what was going to be said but to be honest at this point I just realised what I wanted to do for my project properly so I wasn't that bothered really about the assessment, as I knew and the teachers knew that I haven't enough work for last semester I was in fact expecting my assessment to go worse. It actually went really well, Eric was there and he was really helpful with directing me the right way with my work. now I know how much I should do and to be honest I see it achievable.

Lesley didn't seem very impresses as she knew I didn't do much but in terms of the new work Eric was impressed and thought I am heading the right way and I should now start producing prints so that I will have things to show in the end of year show.

After having the review I decided that I wanted my text wraps also with the images in them maybe print it out on a nice paper (Eric Adviced) or maybe do a screen print depending on if I will have enough time to do that to all of the text wrap images.

29-01-10
Today I went to the print room to start my photo etching. But it took so long to manage to stick the acetate that by the time I was ready to put it in crystal soda it was time to go home. I wasn't very impressed with this and it was a waste of time :S

I decided I will print two different images so I got two plates ready.




As well as doing this I have started my second text wrap image and this an image which contains my niece, my younger sister and my little brother. Just like the previous image this image is a letter about my feeling towards that person and also a letter sort of not given to them and they will only be able to find out by looking at the pictures properly.

I have been trying to find exhibitions on Susan Calle but at the moment unfortunately there isn't any available, which is a shame as she does similar type of work. But I will be looking into her work and her life on the internet as I am very interested in her work.

Also the one thing I haven't been doing much due to the snow ( I know the snow should not be an excuse, but in this case it is, because it has been terrible weather out there) I haven't been going to many galleries and that needs to stop in February as I need to catch up with this failure.

28-01-10
Today I had my assessment I was not sure what was going to be said but to be honest at this point I just realised what I wanted to do for my project properly so I wasn't that bothered really about the assessment, as I knew and the teachers knew that I haven't enough work for last semester I was in fact expecting my assessment to go worse. It actually went really well, Eric was there and he was really helpful with directing me the right way with my work. now I know how much I should do and to be honest I see it achievable.

Lesley didn't seem very impresses as she knew I didn't do much but in terms of the new work Eric was impressed and thought I am heading the right way and I should now start producing prints so that I will have things to show in the end of year show.

After having the review I decided that I wanted my text wraps also with the images in them maybe print it out on a nice paper (Eric Adviced) or maybe do a screen print depending on if I will have enough time to do that to all of the text wrap images.

29-01-10
Today I went to the print room to start my photo etching. But it took so long to manage to stick the acetate that by the time I was ready to put it in crystal soda it was time to go home. I wasn't very impressed with this and it was a waste of time :S

I decided I will print two different images so I got two plates ready.


1-2-10
Today I went back to the print room to continue getting my plates ready and finally start printing. I did go in after lunch so I didn't have much time in there to do what I needed but it was OK still at least by the time I was ready to leave the plate were ready to print. There is slight problem with my plates because the photec didn't stick properly it was coming off in parts it wasn't suppose to be. I am concerned it isn't going to look like how I planned it to look but I am still curious about the results.

2-2-09
Today I finally started my prints and they didn't look that bad actually I was quite impressed. The only trouble is that it is very hard to rub of the ink from the text as the text is very small. But I like how it looks it sort of looks a bit like Dan Eldon's work and I like his stuff as he used mixture of images and text. Today I done two prints from each plate and I mixed two colours at the same time so you see two different colours blending in together. I like the effect but I actaully want to get the text printed correctly as I don't want the teachers to mark me down for that in case they do. I am not even sure if they do that but still, I also want to see how it was suppose to look myself.




9-2-10
Today I went to the printroom to do another set of prints this time I done four more prints two from each plate but this time one was just black and the other one was black and red. I like all of them as they all look different from each other even thought it is printed from the same plate. I would have been able to do more prints if I didn't have another lesson earlier :S


10-2-10
Today I went to a private view called art in mind. I didn't find everything interesting but there was one particular artist which I really liked his name was Josh Cleary he had done this elephant face with like a buddha looking belly and the two index fingers pointing upwards. I also like Sahar Aljajeh and Anna Poerio's works as well . This is an ongoing group exhibition and I will be going to the next one I will also make inquiries into showing my works in the exhibitions as well. In this Gallery they also sell Banksys' works as well. The Gallery is called Brick Lane Art Gallery and it is a nice place

11-2-10
Today I was a bit confused about what I wanted to do. At first I was getting my new plates readyand I was going to try and do the same images again on a new plate as the last one was wrong and I wanted to see what it will look like if all the bits actually stayed on, but Lesley thought I shouldn't do that because she thought that the images had all the information, so I left the plates after putting the photec on one of them and started getting my new image ready for print, so I was scratching off a new acetate for photo etching but then Glen advised that I should do screen print as the photec was so rubbish he thought it might work better that way for me. Also screen print is much quicker process. Because by then it was late to start preparing my screen and my image wasn't ready so I decided once I get bored of scratching the acetate I could do some more prints of the plates I had and see if I could get it printed right. They all eventually looked different from the other but it is still not how I want it to look. So now I need to finish the acetate I am working on and get it ready for screen print and while I am at it do as much acetate as possible.
I also went to a private view at London Print Studio today, it was very interesting I guess they were screenprints but I am not 100% sure if they really were. I found most of the work very interesting and it was a solo show so I think the artist did a very good job, but the only bad thing about it was on each wall there were exactly the same images, so I didn't really like that so much yeah I know each print is an original but I think she could have other stuff instead of the same image and maybe have these prints in a portfolios style on a table laid out nicely, maybe that would have made it look a bit better and interesting in my personal view. But the prints were really good, there were multiple arm on people with faces printed on the arms and stuff like that they seemed really nice and the colours were interesting choices as they were all quite eye catching.

24-2-10
Wow it has been two weeks since I got a chance to do any work for Graphic Arts project. I still have to write my project parfoma. Today I continued with the text wrap for the one I was doing with my little sister, little brother and niece. I haven't completed it and I have been very busy with my animation project as that was at a pause for a very long time. I will show what I have done so far to Lesley tomorrow and see what she says about it.

25-2-10
Today I went to uni to show my work to Lesley I was going to start my new screenprint but then she advised me that it didn't look so great and I had a lot of doodles and scratches which was flowers and a figure at the bottom then a guitar so she thought it wasn't necessary. But at the start she told me to doodle with my text on mono print and while i was text doodling at the same time I felt like including them as well and that was my reason for doing it, but never mind. I will photoshop it and add the rest of the text via photoshop after scanning the image. But this stopped me printing anything today as I was planning to print that today. I also told her the rest of my text scratches will be done later and also they will be screenprinted as photo etching didn't work with this particular work due to the photec not being any good according to Glen. So in the meantime I will be continuing with my text wrap over the weekend hopefully I am aiming to do five new photos including the one I am currently working on. So then I will have plenty to print on Thursday but unfortunately due to class clash I might not be able to make it on Thursday if the teacher doesn't let me. But I will be going in on Monday hopefully to start my screenprints as towards the end of the year it will be to busy to do anything in the printroom.

10-4-10
I have been busy trying to do mono prints of this text wrap project but the text it not coming out clear as the paper is too thick. (images will be added later for this bit)
13-5-10
OK since last time a lot has changed with my project I have finally decided that I am going to do digital prints so I stopped wasting time on trying to get the prints right and instead just got on with getting the rest of the images text wraps ready. Once it was all done I showed it all to Eric and when he OK'd it as well I jsut ordered it to be printed on matt laminatinated paper.

The paper quality is very good. I ordered my prints two days ago and it arrived today, there was a slight problem with them though. Due to me not mentioning I want borders (well I forgot) there was no borders around the images. But in a way that worked well because you can barely read the text as it is and if it was smaller it wouldn't have been easy to read. As we can only submit A2 Portfolios.

Here is the end result for my project, at some point I will continue to do some more mono prints for this project.



No comments:

Post a Comment